Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Big Man Himself

Dewitt and I are camping out right now. I'm currently on watch, and an encounter I had just moments ago was frightening enough to post about.

He appeared before me. A towering skeleton, at least 10 feet tall, dressed in tattered clothes. I could see his ribs through the tears in his shirt. A cloak/vest combination was draped over him, with its hood up. He wore a mask just like the ones worn by the non-competitors I've seen so far, only slightly different; I had a spade at the top, a sideways heart on his right, a sideways diamond on his left, and an upside-down club on the bottom. All four poker suits were present.

He knelt down so that his face was level with mine.

"I've been informed that you've seen a lady," he said calmly.
"Y-yes," I replied timidly. I don't know why, but his very presence struck absolute terror into my heart.
"Describe her," he ordered.
"S-she was about 6 feet tall, with orange hair," I said.
"And her eyes?" He pried.
"They had no irises, and the pupils were huge," I said.
"What were her hands like?" He asked.
"The had red claws, and she also had wings," I said. I couldn't stop myself from answering his questions.

This time, he removed his mask and revealed the skull beneath it.

"Can you tell me where I can find her?" He asked.

I couldn't answer. I didn't know where she was, and if I did I wouldn't be staying here.
He seemed to grow irritated with me, because he did something incredibly terrifying. He tossed his mask into the air, and in just a few seconds it had expanded rapidly and taken the shape of a giant, sinister dragon, staring down at me hungrily. He raised one of his bony hands, ready to snap his fingers.

"Answer me," he said, just as calm as ever.

Then the voice in my head spoke up. I don't know who it belonged to or where it was coming from, but I know I've heard it before. How can I describe this voice? Have you ever seen Law Of Talos? It sounds like that Karl guy. Always amused, with a hint of malice.

Don't let him intimidate you, it said. Stay strong. You're an Enhanced, aren't you?

I stared the Game Master in his empty eye sockets.

"I don't know where she is," I said sternly, my cowardice suddenly lifting.

He snapped his fingers.

I was expecting death, but instead the dragon returned to its mask form and flew into his hand. He returned it to his skinless face.

"If you ever see her again, inform the next Card you see," he said. Then he stood up, wrapped his cloak around himself like some kind of magician, and vanished.

Dewitt's still sleeping. I suppose I should wrap this up and continue my watch.

But who's voice was that?

No comments:

Post a Comment